Monday, January 18, 2010

Starting an adventure

For the last month or so I've been obsessed with fried rice. This was ever since I had the delicious experience of eating some fried rice at Yum's Chinese Restaurant in Lake City, FL. Until eating some of their plain fried rice I couldn't even remember how good fried rice could be. It was simply scrumptious.

Anyway, fast forward to today when I'm deciding to embark on a journey to sample every fried rice dish in Tallahassee (where I currently reside). While the ultimate goal is to find something comparable to Yum's, a side goal is simply to provide a worthwhile guide to fried rice in the Tallahassee area. In doing so, maybe I'll help others looking for a good food experience.

Embarking on this journey, I will use the following system:

  1. I will order a pint of vegetable fried rice. I'm currently on a no meat kick and I think vegetable fried rice will give a nice simple way to compare all the various restaurants.
  2. I will post a list of ingredients, mostly which vegetables I find in the rice along with whether it contained egg.
  3. I will also try to describe the rice. Some restaurants use brown rice, some white and some yellow rice.
  4. I will rate the fried rice on a scale of 1 to 5. 5 being comparable to Yum's, and 1 being comparable to what I would make at home. LOL. I will also do my best to write a decent description of the rice overall, whether it was greasy, etc.
  5. A part of an inside joke with my friend Kelly, I'll also be posting my fortune, should I get one with the rice. It's up to individual readers to determine if the fortune affects the quality of the fried rice being served, I will just provide it with no comment.
My first goal should be probably to compile a list of restaurants in Tallahassee that serve fried rice. No easy task since not all restaurants have menus online. I also aim to try at least one serving a week in order to finish this in a reasonable time. I'm off right now to go to Samurai Express which has some decent food but I've never really paid enough attention to the rice to qualify it.

www.samuraiexpress.com

3111 Mahan Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32308-5511
(850) 877-2904

That's another thing. I should probably post addresses and phone number along with web addresses of the places I visit.

My review of Samurai will be forthcoming. Hold onto your hats, your breath and anything else.

1 comment: